The mission of the North Carolina Wesleyan College Archives is to collect, organize, preserve, and provide access to the records of the College that have enduring historical, legal, administrative, or fiscal value to the institution. The Archives serve as a repository for printed materials, photographs, manuscript collections, artifacts, and other memorabilia that relate to the history of North Carolina Wesleyan College. The materials held in the College Archives support the research needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the public.
The College Archives comprise many materials that document the history of the College including college catalogs, yearbooks, and newspapers. Some materials have also been digitized and are available online through Digital NC. These items include The Decree student newspaper (from 1960-2012) and The Dissenter yearbook (from 1962-2006). Speak to a library staff member or call (252) 985-5350 if you are interested in accessing the College Archives.
This collection was purchased by North Carolina Wesleyan College after the closure of Black Mountain College in 1957. It is a collection of items from the college's library as well as works by and about people that were connected with Black Mountain College. Professor Emeritus Dr. Leverett T. Smith is the curator.
This collection of maps of North Carolina was presented to the college by Gregory Williams, a 1975 graduate of NC Wesleyan who also served on the Board of Trustees for a number of years. The collection of North Carolina Maps includes maps printed between 1590 and 1995 and is housed with the Archives in the older part of the library. Williams collaborated with his former professor, Allen S. Johnson on a catalogue, Tar Heel Maps: Colony and State, 1590-1995. Dr. Johnson was Professor Emeritus of History and Geography at NC Wesleyan and was a distinguished member of the faculty for over 40 years.
The map pictured above is from the North Carolina State Archives. It is a map of North Carolina circa 1795.
Littleton College opened in 1882 as "Central Institute for Young Ladies" and operated until destroyed by fire in 1919. It was chartered "for the purpose of maintaining a school of high grade near the town of Littleton, in the county of Warren, for the intellectual, moral, and religious development and training of young ladies...". The Littleton College Memorial Association held their annual reunions at NC Wesleyan for many years. A collection of Littleton College memorabilia donated by the group to NC Wesleyan is housed in the Hardee-Rives Room in the Library.
The above picture is from NCpedia.