Skip to main content

Archives & Special Collections

Black Mountain College

Black Mountain College 

This collection was purchased by North Carolina Wesleyan College after the closure of Black Mountain College in 1957. It is a collection of items from the college's library as  well as works by and about people who were connected with Black Mountain College. Vincent Chip Larkin, Instruction & Assessment Librarian, is the curator of the Black Mountain College Collection. Professor Emeritus Dr. Leverett T. Smith, long-time curator of the collection, continues to support and guide library staff in managing the collection.

Tar Heel Maps

Old NC Map

This collection of maps of North Carolina was presented to the college by Gregory Williams, a 1975 graduate of NC Wesleyan who also served on the Board of Trustees for a number of years. The collection of North Carolina Maps includes maps printed between 1590 and 1995 and is housed with the Archives in the older part of the library. Williams collaborated with his former professor, Allen S. Johnson on a catalogue, Tar Heel Maps: Colony and State, 1590-1995. Dr. Johnson was Professor Emeritus of History and Geography at NC Wesleyan and was a distinguished member of the faculty for over 40 years.

The map pictured above is from the cover of the book Tar Heel Maps: Colony and State, 1590-1995.

Littleton College Collection

Littleton College

Littleton College opened in 1882 as "Central Institute for Young Ladies" and operated until destroyed by fire in 1919. It was chartered "for the purpose of maintaining a school of high grade near the town of Littleton, in the county of Warren, for the intellectual, moral, and religious development and training of young ladies...".  The college was located on 22 acres in the town of Littleton.  In 1888, the name was changed to Littleton Female College and in 1911 to Littleton College. Under the leadership of President James Manly Rhodes, the college grew, and in the early 1900’s more than 200 students enrolled each year.  On January 22, 1919, a fire destroyed the college which was never rebuilt.

The Littleton College Memorial Association held their annual reunions at NC Wesleyan for many years. A collection of Littleton College memorabilia donated by the group to NC Wesleyan is housed in the Hardee-Rives Room in the Library.

The Littleton College Collection includes college catalogs, yearbooks, literary magazines, and photographs and other memorabilia such as diplomas and even graduation dresses.  Some of the college catalogs, yearbooks and literary magazines have been digitized and are available online through DigitalNC.  To access other materials in the Littleton College Collection, speak to a library staff member or call (252) 985-5350.

The above picture is from NCpedia.